It is surprisingly common for people to be injured in an auto accident and not realize it until days, weeks, or even months afterwards. This is due to a number of factors, including the types of injuries that people are likely to suffer from an auto accident, as well as the ways that many injuries can mimic the symptoms of more mundane conditions. That is why you should be on the lookout for these symptoms after you get into an auto accident, which can indicate a potentially severe injury:
- Persistent headaches
- Head injuries are fairly common when people get into motor vehicle accidents, but not all head injuries are immediately obvious. What may look like simple scrapes or bruises may hide a skull fracture or concussion, which can become obvious if someone has headaches that refuse to go away. In more extreme cases, persistent headaches can be a sign of traumatic brain injury (TBI), which may require extensive medical care to treat.
- Issues with sleeping or eating
- Another potential sign of severe injury after an auto accident is troubles with sleeping or eating. While many people know that it can be an issue if someone wants to sleep too much after an accident, it can be just as bad (or worse) if someone finds they simply can’t sleep after an accident. This, along with sudden changes in appetite, can indicate a potential TBI, or they can be symptoms of psychological trauma that may require therapy or medication to treat.
- Dizziness or nausea
- Another potential sign of a TBI comes in the form of dizziness or nausea after an accident. While these sorts of issues may have more mundane explanations, and can simply be the result of stress from an accident, you should still be wary of them. This is especially true for any symptoms that fail to respond to conventional treatment or which persist for an unusually long time.
- Neck and back pain
- Another extremely common type of injury seen in auto accidents is neck and back pain. This is often the result of damage to the spine that comes as a result of the sudden impact in an auto accident. Far from being simply inconvenient, this kind of pain can indicate a potentially severe spinal injury that can impair a person’s ability to move or handle daily tasks, which can worsen if left untreated.
- Muscle stiffness or aching
- It is also common for a person’s muscles to hurt or get stiff after a major accident. Unexplained stiffness and aching can indicate muscle strain, or even be the first signs of a muscle tear. This is why you should seek medical attention after an auto accident as soon as possible, so they can treat these potential injuries and prevent them from becoming worse.
If you or a loved one have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you should seek out the personal injury lawyers at Zlotolow & Associates. Our seasoned New York personal injury attorneys bring more than two decades of trial experience to your case. We serve all five boroughs of New York City, as well as Nassau and Suffolk County. Our aggressive personal injury attorneys always demand maximum compensation. We have helped thousands of clients recover through settlements and courtroom verdicts. To schedule a consultation, you can call us at 866-800-0092, or you can visit our contact page.